RELEARN PROCEDURE? Yes.
SPECIAL TOOLS NEEDED? No.
The tire vigour monitoring complement (TPMS) notifies a motorist when a poignant detriment of tire vigour occurs in any of a 4 tires. The complement uses a powertrain control procession (PCM), physique control procession (BCM), instrument row cluster (IPC), motorist information core ( DIC), a radio magnitude (RF) transmitting vigour sensor in any wheel/tire assembly, and a sequence information circuit to perform a complement functions.
When a car is still a sensor’s middle hurl switches are open, that puts a sensors into still mode. In this mode a sensors broadcast once any 60 mins to minimize sensor battery consumption. As car speed increases, centrifugal force closes a sensor’s middle hurl switches causing a sensors to go into expostulate mode. In this mode a sensors broadcast once any 60 seconds. The BCM receives and translates a information contained in any sensor’s RF delivery into sensor presence, sensor mode, and tire pressure.
NOTE: The sensors vigour correctness from -10 to +70 degrees Celsius is ±7 kPa. The BCM has a ability to detect malfunctions within a TPMS.
TPMS warning indicators
When a TPMS detects a poignant detriment of tire pressure, a CHECK TIRE PRESSURE summary is displayed on a DIC and a low tire vigour indicator is displayed on a IPC. Both a summary and indicator can be privileged by adjusting a tires to their endorsed pressures. The TPMS warns a motorist when a poignant detriment of tire vigour occurs in any of a 4 tires, and allows a motorist to arrangement a sold tire pressures and their locations on a DIC while a car is being driven. Any malfunction rescued will means a DIC to arrangement a SERVICE TIRE MONITOR message.
NOTE: When a wheels have been rotated, or a tire vigour sensor has been replaced, retrain a tire vigour sensor.
NOTE: Once a TPMS learn mode has been enabled, any of a sensors’ singular marker (ID) codes can be schooled into a BCM memory. When a sensor ID has been learned, a BCM sounds a horn chirp. This verifies a sensor has transmitted a ID and a BCM has perceived and schooled it. The BCM contingency learn a sensor IDs in a scold sequence to establish scold sensor location. The initial schooled ID is reserved to a left front, a second to right front, a third to right back and a fourth to a left rear.
NOTE: Sensor functions regulating a indicate apparatus — Each sensor has an middle low magnitude (LF) coil. When a apparatus is used in activate mode it produces an LF delivery that activates a sensor. The sensor responds to an LF activation by transmitting in learn mode.
When a BCM receives a learn mode delivery while in a TPMS learn mode, it will allot that sensor ID to a plcae on a car relations to a sequence in that it was learned.
NOTE: Sensor functions regulating vigour increase/decrease process — Each sensor takes a vigour dimensions representation once any 30 seconds while in still mode. If a tire vigour increases or decreases by some-more than 8.3 kPa (1.2 psi) from a final vigour measurement, another dimensions will start immediately to determine a change in pressure. If a vigour change has indeed occurred, a sensor transmits in re-measure mode. When a BCM receives a re-measure mode delivery while in TPMS learn mode, it will allot that sensor ID to a plcae on a car relations to a sequence in that it was learned.
NOTE: Learn mode termination — The learn mode will cancel if a ignition is cycled to OFF or if some-more than dual mins has elapsed for any sensor that has not been learned. If a learn mode is cancelled before a initial sensor is learned, a strange sensor IDs will be maintained. If a learn mode is canceled for any reason after a initial sensor is learned, all IDs are erased from a BCM memory and if equipped, a DIC will arrangement dashes for tire pressures.
WARNING: Stray signals from other TPMS-equipped vehicles only pushing by can be inadvertently learned. If any pointless horn chirps are listened from a car while behaving a learn procedure, many expected a wandering sensor has been schooled and a procession will need to be cancelled and repeated. Under these circumstances, behaving a TPMS learn procession divided from other vehicles would be rarely recommended.
NOTE: In a eventuality a sold sensor activation does not means a horn to chirp, it might be required to stagger a circle valve branch to a opposite position due to a sensor vigilance is being blocked by another component. Before move with a stairs below, determine a following:
- No other sensor learn procession is being achieved concurrently within tighten proximity.
- Tire pressures are not being practiced on another TPMS-equipped car within tighten proximity.
- Park stop and conduct flare switch submit parameters are functioning correctly.
1) Turn ON a ignition, with a engine OFF.
2) Apply a parking brake.
3) Turn a headlight switch from OFF to parking lamps 4 times within 4 seconds. A horn hail will sound and a low tire vigour indicator will start to peep indicating a learn mode has been enabled.
4) Starting with a left front tire, learn a tire vigour regulating one of a following methods:
- Method 1: Hold a receiver of a apparatus opposite a tire sidewall tighten to a circle edge during a valve branch plcae afterwards press and recover a activate symbol and wait for a horn chirp.
- Method 2: Increase/decrease a tire vigour for 8 to 10 seconds afterwards wait for a horn chirp. The horn hail might start before or adult to 30 seconds after a 8 to 10 second vigour increase/decrease time duration has been reached.
5) After a horn hail has sounded, repeat a procession for a remaining 3 sensors in a following order: right front, right rear, left rear.
6) After a LR sensor has been learned, a horn hail will sound indicating all sensors have been learned.
7) Turn OFF a ignition to exit a learn mode.
8) After a learn mode has been exited, adjust all tires to a endorsed pressures.
CAUTION: The tire should be demounted from a circle regulating a tire changer manufacturer’s instructions. Use a following information to equivocate repairs during a demounting/mounting procedures.
NOTE: If a vehicle’s tires are transposed with those not carrying a TPC spec number, a TPMS might give an false low vigour warning. Non-TPC spec tires might give a low vigour warning that is aloft or reduce than a scold warning turn achieved by TPC spec numbered tires.
NOTE: When a wheels have been rotated, or a tire vigour sensor has been replaced, retrain tire vigour sensor. See reset procedures.
Tire vigour sensor
CAUTION: DO NOT inject any tire glass or aerosol tire sealant into a tires, as this might means a malfunction of a tire vigour sensors.
If any tire sealant is remarkable on tire demounting, reinstate a sensor.
Also mislay all residual glass sealant from a inside of a tire and circle surfaces.
1) Raise a car on a suitable support. Remove a tire/wheel public from a vehicle.
2) Demount a tire from a circle following a tire changer manufacturer’s instructions while profitable special courtesy to a following to equivocate deleterious tire vigour sensor:
- Place a sensor’s top and valve on a dry, purify aspect after removal. The top is aluminum and a valve is nickel-plated to forestall corrosion. DO NOT surrogate a top or valve done of any other material.
- Position a stone violation tie 90 degrees from valve branch when separating a tire stone from a wheel.
- Position a mounting/demounting conduct so a tire iron can be extrinsic somewhat clockwise of a sensor physique when meddling tire stone adult and over a mounting/demounting head.
- Using a tire machine, stagger a tire/wheel public clockwise when transferring a tire stone to a outward of a circle rim.
- Repeat these stairs for a middle bead.
3) Remove a tire vigour sensor bulb (see Figure 1).
4) Remove a sensor from a circle hole.
5) Remove a sensor grommet from a valve stem.
1) Clean any mud or waste from a grommet sealing areas. Install a grommet on a sensor valve stem.
2) Insert a sensor in a circle hole with a atmosphere thoroughfare confronting divided from a wheel.
3) Install a sensor nut, and position a sensor physique together to a inside circle aspect while tightening bulb to 62 in.-lbs. (7 N.m).
4) Before installing a tire on a wheel, note a following equipment to equivocate tire vigour sensor repairs on tire mounting:
- Position a mounting/demounting conduct 180 degrees from a valve stem. Position a stone transition area 45 degrees counterclockwise of a valve stem.
- Using a tire machine, stagger a tire/wheel public clockwise when transferring a tire stone to a inside of a circle rim.
- Repeat these stairs for a outdoor bead.
5) Install a tire on a wheel. Install a tire/wheel public on a vehicle. Retrain a tire vigour sensor (see reset procedures).
NOTE: A use deputy tire vigour sensor is shipped in a OFF mode. In this mode, a sensor’s singular marker formula can't be schooled into a memory. The sensor contingency be taken out of OFF mode by spinning a tire/wheel public above 20 mph (32 km/h) for during slightest 10 seconds in sequence to tighten a sensor’s middle hurl switch.
Component Ft.-lbs. (N.m)
Wheel nut 100 (140)
Tire vigour sensor nut 62 (7)
Information for this mainstay comes from Mitchell 1’s “Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems Guide” for domestic and import vehicles. Headquartered in Poway, Calif., Mitchell 1 has supposing peculiarity correct information solutions to a automotive attention for some-more than 80 years. For some-more information, revisit www.mitchell1.com.
To review some-more TPMS columns, see: