Never would we have suspicion that a turbocharged four-cylinder engine would be anywhere nearby adequate to pierce an SUV that weighs some-more than dual tons and typically has a V-6 engine.
But Chevy’s Traverse RS does it with blacked-out travel character and a 257-horsepower, turbocharged and direct-injection 2.0-liter four-cylinder with automobile stop-start during idle. Its well-equipped MSRP of $43,045 includes a $995 burden assign from Lansing, Mich.
When we climbed into a tester, we wasn’t awaiting much. Lots of cars currently have a turbo four-cylinder choice of powertrains, though it would not be my choice in a vast vehicle. Some applications are usually a search-engine obstacle for a high-mpg automobile while boosting a brand’s corporate normal fuel-economy ratings. And some choices are usually a character matter to look high-performance with no courage to behind it up.
But GM got it right with a Traverse RS with discerning acceleration, energy in a high rpm operation and a useful nine-speed involuntary transmission.
The seven-passenger, three-row Traverse is a vast SUV, sole in 5 other trim levels in front or all-wheel expostulate with a 310-horsepower 3.6-liter V-6 and a nine-speed automatic. Starting prices operation from about $31,000-$54,000. And Traverse warranted a five-star NHTSA measure for altogether automobile pile-up protection.
The RS is accessible usually in front expostulate though it is well-equipped as a 3LT trim turn with such facilities as smartkey locking and push-button ignition, eight-way energy motorist chair and six-way energy newcomer seat, 8-inch hold shade display, tri-zone AC, two-mode rearview camera, leather-trimmed upholstery, exhilarated front seats, HID headlights and taillights, LED using lights, 10-speaker Bose audio, energy liftgate, energy (heated) side mirrors, haze lights and a 60/40 folding third row.
The blacked-out RS diagnosis includes a black chrome grille, Dark Android finish 20-inch wheels, black window trim, black roof rails and black bowtie badges. Inside, there is black leather-trimmed upholstery.
As it is setup, a RS creates a sharp-looking family automobile for a automobile enthusiast, nonetheless I’d reduce a cessation by about 3 inches all around for a position to compare a black tone. But there is no need for runningboards to step adult for entrance or exit.
Step on a gas and there is assured acceleration and some-more than adequate energy for a daily grind, unless you’ll be carrying a carload opposite a Continental Divide.
The nine-speed delivery likes to upshift shortly for limit mileage, though it rolls simply by a gears to stay in a energy band. And there is clever flitting energy from a 295 foot-pounds of torque that peaks during 2,100 rpm, that is right in that highway zone. The draw rating is carlike during 1,500 pounds, though that’s adequate for a tent trailer or motorized toys.
The engine has involuntary stop-start during idle that can't be switched off, though usually lift a feet from a accelerator and a engine fires for first-off-the line acceleration. There also are active grille shutters (on all Traverse models) to conduct atmosphere upsurge and assistance with fuel economy. The EPA mileage numbers are 20 mpg city, 26 highway and 22 mpg combined, on a endorsed reward fuel. we was averaging 25 to 27 mpg, with a high of 29.1, in a week of testing. And a vast fuel tank of 19.4 gallons gives a far-reaching pushing range.
Without a V-6 sitting over a front axle, a steering is light though responsive, assisting a Traverse RS to expostulate smaller than a 17-foot length. The branch round of 39 feet isn’t unwieldy.
Inside, a cabin is road-trip prepared with unrestricted sightlines, a remarkably good sound-proofed cabin and a reward coming to materials and their assembly.
The back-seat space is ample with a prosaic building and a prolonged 38.4 inches of legroom. It’s a good place for a prolonged transport with AC-heat-fan controls, a domicile 120-volt (150 watt) plug, dual charging USBs and copiousness of door-panel storage space.
The RS package is cosmetic, though it creates a new choice for a customer who likes a vast automobile but a bulk of a vast SUV.
2018 Chevrolet Traverse RS
- Body style: large, 7-passenger SUV crossover; front or all-wheel drive
- Engine: 257-hp, turbocharged and direct-injection 2.0-liter 4-cylinder with automobile stop-start during idle; 295 lb.-ft. torque during 2,100 rpm
- Transmission: 9-spd. automatic
- Fuel economy: 20/26/22 mpg city/hwy/combined; reward fuel
- Fuel tank: 19.4 gal.
- Cargo space: 23-58.1 cu. ft.
- Front head/leg room: 41.3/41 in.
- Rear head/leg room: 40/38.4 in.
- Length/wheelbase: 204.3/120.9 in.
- Curb weight: 4,362 lbs.
- Turning circle: 39 ft.
- Tow capacity: 1,500 lbs.
- Standard apparatus includes: smartkey locking and push-button ignition, 8-way energy motorist seat, 6-way energy newcomer seat, 8-inch hold shade display, tri-zone AC, two-mode rearview camera, leather-trimmed upholstery, exhilarated front seats, HID headlights and taillights, LED using lights, 10-speaker Bose audio, energy liftgate, energy (heated) side mirrors, haze lights, 60/40 folding third row
- Safety facilities include: 8 atmosphere bags, lane-change warning with side blind-zone alert, back cranky trade alert, back park assist, fortitude and traction controls, ABS
- Base price: $43,095, including $995 burden charge
- Options on exam vehicle: none
- Where assembled: Lansing, Mich.
- Warranty: 3 years/36,000 miles fender to fender with dual giveaway scheduled upkeep checks; 5 years/60,000 miles powertrain with roadside assistance and a loaner vehicle
Mark Maynard is a automotive editor during The San Diego Union-Tribune. Mark.Maynard@sduniontribune.com.