When Lexus built a initial supercar, a 2012 LFA, they described it as “a watershed point” for a F portfolio of Lexus opening models. The 2018 Lexus LC 500 is touted as a opening of “a new chapter” for a brand. Mixed metaphors aside, both a LFA and LC paint a apex of Lexus’ design, engineering and prolongation capabilities during a impulse of their construction. Among collectors and connoisseurs, a LFA is a singular esteem and a treasure.
I recently spent a week pushing a new LC 500, and we couldn’t assistance though pull comparisons to a LFA. LC is not a supercar – it is a oppulance opening coupe. But we can consider of during slightest 10 ways a 2018 Lexus LC is improved than a 2012 Lexus LFA.
- Availability. Lexus built usually 500 examples of a LFA. LC prolongation boundary have not been announced, though during slightest 2,500 have been sole in a United States given launch. The monument of LFA meant that dealers were means to direct amounts above a suggested sell price, a conditions that is reduction common with LC. Finding a used LFA on a marketplace right now is a plea – during a moment, usually 4 cars are on a marketplace in a US. LC is now a build-to-order car. There might be a play out there who has an LC in stock, though they are unequivocally skinny on a ground. Spec out a LC during your internal Lexus dealer, and we can take smoothness in about 4 months.
- Build Quality. LFA was hand-assembled by Lexus LFA Works during a Motomachi Plant in Toyota City, Japan. The same prolongation line has been polished to arrange a LC, incorporating lessons schooled from LFA production. LC is built on a new GA-L (Global Architecture – Luxury) height that will underlie a new LS sedan.
- Exterior Design. LFA is positively a supercar, and has a outlandish coming to match. But on a quite inequitable basis, we cite a LC’s extraneous design, mostly since we dislike a LFA’s back elevation. The taillamps are mounted above a large triangular diffuser, that gives a back fascia a pinched appearance. LC presents a most some-more superb back view, and a sleeker, some-more organic whole.
- Interior Design. Once again, this is a matter of taste. LFA’s dashboard most ignores a passenger, focusing a pattern flourishes on a driver’s cockpit. LC is some-more finish in an cultured sense, with a balanced, appealing sourroundings for any side, along with beautifully minute doorway panels. The aloft chain of a 10.3-inch TFT arrangement in a core smoke-stack of a LC is closer to a driver’s eyeline, minimizing distracting eye movement.
- Comfort. LFA’s hip indicate is a small reduce to a belligerent than LC’s, creation it a bit worse to get in and out of elegantly. Once you’re in a seat, LFA is firmly bolstered. That’s good for energetic driving, though not good for comfort over a prolonged haul. The cessation on LFA is inequitable toward performance, as approaching – though even on a softest settings, it’s still unbending compared to a LC. LC has a kind of seats that acquire we for a prolonged drive. There are even dual back seats in a LC, suitable for brief rides for stretchable passengers.
- Fuel Economy. As a supercar, LFA is all about performance. It is propitious with a high-revving 4.8-liter V10 engine that final reward gasoline for best operation. While fuel economy is a second suspicion in supercars, a 2012 EPA rating of 11 mpg city/16 mpg highway/13 mpg total contingency be considered. LC 500 comes with a rating of 16 mpg city/26 mpg highway/19 mpg total on reward gas. The hybrid version, LC 500h, is rated to grasp 26 mpg city/35 mpg highway/30 mpg combined, despite with somewhat reduction opening on daub than a gasoline-only version.
- Transmission. Lexus grown a new six-speed Automated Sequential Gearbox (ASG) with paddle shifters for a LFA. The imperishable delivery had to be means to hoop a V10’s 553 hp and 354 lb-ft of output. LC’s new 10-speed involuntary delivery is a some-more required torque-converter form of involuntary that has been engineered for awfully discerning rigging changes and well-spoken operation. Paddle shifters concede for primer rigging selection, though are not unequivocally indispensable – a electronic smarts behind a delivery are that good. The LC’s delivery is ideally matched to a car’s 5.0-liter V8 that puts out 471 hp and 398 lb-ft of torque.
- Ground Clearance. Supercars lay low to a ground. This position helps grasp a low core of sobriety and creates it probable to grasp neat aerodynamics, both of that assistance urge handling. It also looks great. LFA’s limit belligerent clearway is 4.5 inches. LC sits a small aloft during 5.2 inches off a ground. That 0.7 inches is poignant in bland driving, and might make a disproportion between your ability to conquer a sloped expostulate or speed hump.
- Dependability. Supercars are built to remove limit opening from their powertrains, and that can be taxing. we had a payoff to expostulate during a Lexus F Sport eventuality during Las Vegas Motor Speedway in 2012, and there were dual LFA coupes accessible for reporters to knowledge on a lane during a start of a day. Very quickly, one of a LFA supercars malfunctioned, and had to be sidelined for a residue of a day. This is positively anecdotal – an removed knowledge that proves nothing. But it is on standard with my knowledge with supercars. They are temperamental, fickle and dangerous beasts that direct consistent caring and attention. By contrast, we usually spent a week regulating a 2018 LC 500 as my daily motorist though experiencing so most as a glitch, and we would design Lexus-like dependability from an LC over a march of many miles and years.
- Investment. The exclusivity and singular prolongation numbers for LFA, along with a virtues of a vehicle, flattering most assure that a supercar will keep a value and even conclude over a years. When new, LFA carried a list cost of $375,000, and you’d be propitious to find one now during tighten to that price. A softly used automobile with 5,000 miles on a time is now for sale during $439,000, while a salon new automobile that has usually been driven 10 miles is for sale during $809,000 – substantially overpriced, though on a right day with a right buyer, who knows? The 2018 Lexus LC 500 starts during $92,000 ($104,465 as tested), that seems like a analogous bargain. While a investment opening of a LC has nonetheless to be proven, a initial cost is most some-more attainable. Few buyers would select to buy an LFA to expostulate on a daily basement – it’s usually not that kind of car, and appreciation will be formed heavily on condition when it comes time to sell. LC 500 is an investment that we can drive. Take good caring of it, and it will roughly positively keep a good apportionment of a value over a years.